The Tuthill House was originally constructed in 1840 by Josiah Tuthill, a grandson of John Tuthill who came from Southold in about 1760 to become an early settler of Speonk. The house was originally located at what is now 148 South County Road in a portion of Speonk now known as Remsenburg. In the mid to late 1890s the house served as the local post office and gathering spot, with Josiah Tuthill’s son, Gilbert, acting as Postmaster. In 1954 the house was sold, floated by barge to Quiogue, and installed at a site on Foster Lane. The house was donated to the Historical Society, which needed a museum building, in 1990 and by 1991 the house had been moved again to its current site on Mill Road. With dedication, commitment and community support, the Tuthill House Museum opened to the public in 1995.